Full Stack: .NET
Area of focus
Telehealth, Telehealth, Remote Patient Monitoring and Medical Devices Patient Engagement and Portals
Fitness Data Tracking App
A multi-tenant application with API integration for 14 popular fitness wearables enabled our customer to create a gamified incentive system
One of our clients wanted to develop a new product for their portfolio. The idea was to leverage the data about user activities (steps, sleep, exercise, etc.) for an internal gamified incentive system with the ultimate goal of motivating people to engage in physical activity. The application was to offer different kinds of challenges, group, and individual, with the majority of challenges designed to motivate users to be more active.
The client’s business model was based on engaging companies that would enroll their employees in the challenges, with the option for each company to have a customized user experience.
A particular requirement was also for users to be able to use all of the most popular tracking devices available on the market (14 wearables were selected at that time).
With the request to gather data from multiple wellness devices into a single app, we were faced with the choice between:
a) building a custom connector for each device’s API, and
b) using a service that collects data in one place.
We did a thorough analysis of both options and, having in mind the cost of the second one, our client decided to go with the first option.
The next technical challenge was to build a multi-tenant application with 14 tracking API integrations that had a customized look and feel for each tenant.
Having an individual integration point per tenant per API meant that, for example, 10 companies/tenants would have 140 API accounts/endpoints to maintain with all of the activities and data processed in real time.
Instead of that individual integration point model, we decided to create a single point of integration for all tenants and for all APIs (think HumanAPI).
The final result was our multi-tenant application with 14 tracking API integrations, complete with the following key features:
- All activities processed in real time and the results of every challenge available immediately.
- Customized look and feel for each tenant.
- A queue-supported platform created for real-time processing of activity data in order to minimize potential race conditions issues.
- Scalable, dedicated processing of activities in order to prevent any potential performance issue, and to manage periodical increases in traffic.
- A unified approach to emulate automatic synchronization (pub/sub) if a device’s API didn’t already support that.
Our client enhanced their product portfolio with a modern app that has a worthy purpose of helping people become healthier.
A multi-tenant application with API integration for 14 popular fitness wearables enabled our customer to create a gamified incentive system.
By creating a single point of integration for all tenants and for all APIs we have:
- Enabled the client to easily add new tenants assigning them custom/branded UI and functionalities.
- Enabled the client to easily add even more devices as they are introduced to the market.
- Drastically reduced the API integration maintenance effort.