Mobile: iOS, Android, ResearchKit, ResearchStack
Area of focus
Telehealth, Remote Patient Monitoring and Medical Devices Patient Engagement and Portals
Behavioral Health Research Data Collecting App
Vicert designed a highly adaptable and scalable tool that enabled live data tracking and quick reactions to spikes in behavioral patterns. The integrated communication and notification solutions enhanced the data, thus improving the productivity of participants.
Our client and their research partner wanted to run a study on mobile devices to gather data from participants at work to assess (and improve) their productivity.
They had designed the data infrastructure but needed help with the user-facing component.
We designed an app that could integrate and share data with a score of other applications on a smartphone, and other such wearable sensor devices. The app’s functionalities needed to be thoroughly explained and documented to enable straightforward, seamless project replication in the future.
Vicert designed a solution in the form of two native mobile apps, one for iOS, and the other for Android.
The apps used ResearchKit SDK for iOS and ResearchStack SDK for Android, frameworks for tracking behavioral patterns (to be later correlated to productivity in the work environment).
A specific challenge, that we had mastered successfully, was the explicit request that both apps must look as identical as possible, even though iOS and Android in general, and ResearchKit and ResearchStack in particular, provide slightly different user experiences.
Main app features:
- Displaying questionnaires using the Research frameworks, and collecting response to those questionnaires
- Collecting data from on-phone sensors (e.g. battery life)
- Collecting data from other apps and connected wearables
- Displaying information gathered by the app backend from 3rd party servers (e.g. Fitbit)
- The solution we designed allowed our client to use their app for more than just the original research project, since it was designed to be a highly adaptable and scalable tool to serve our client in the short and long term.
- The timeliness of the data was a significant benefit for the client, as live data tracking allowed them to react quickly to spikes in behavioral patterns.
- Allowing the study manager to reach out to participants with messages, push notifications, and requests for filling out surveys enhanced the data, improved the research, making it more scalable and improving test subject retention.